So I moved the eggs into the cartons/rings for lockdown last night. Because the cartons and rings were lower than the auto turner when placed on the floor of the incubator, I had to turn up the temperature. I woke up at midnight and the temperature had stabilized at 94 degrees which is too low so I turned the thermostat a little more and stayed awake for an extra hour to try to make sure the incubator was back at 100 degrees. Unfortunately when I came out this morning it had spiked to 102 degrees.
If the internal temperature reaches 102 degrees for a fairly short period of time the embryos will die 😦
So now I just have to wait to see if any of the eggs hatch in two days. I was so good about checking the temperature 4 times a day to try and keep it stable but sometimes bad things happen despite our best intentions.
Below are a couple of photos of the button quail and coturnix quail placed upright for hatching in cartons and the cardboard rings.
I had candled the coturnix quail eggs (some were smelling rotten and a bad egg can explode all over the good ones). 4 were clear and 2 looked to have had arrested development but those two were left in. So in theory 22/24 have a chance of hatching. I only candled a few of the button quail eggs. They are so tiny that it is easy to drop them, but I know at least some had chicks in them (at least before the temperature spike) because I could feel a few moving inside the shell when I picked them up to place them in the carton.
So now it is just a 48 hour waiting game to see if any of the eggs hatch out.